Energy Bites are the perfect afternoon snack for me at work. My job is often so busy that I forget (or don’t have time for) lunch so having these little power balls on hand makes things a lot easier! And, bonus: they are silly easy to make- my secret is I make a double batch then split it into however many add ins I want to make. This week I split my double batch into five.
I did have an extra motive for doing a double batch this week. At work we got some new products in- berry powders! Berry powders are a great way to get the concentrated nutrition from the berries-and the powders are very versatile. So I wanted to play with them a bit, and I also needed a food “prop” for some product photos that I worked on this week for the shop’s website.
Base Recipe (for one batch-I doubled all of this for mine this week):
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 1/3 C Almond Butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- 1/4 C Honey* (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 C Old Fashioned Oats
- 2 TBSP Chia Seeds
*I like to use locally sourced honey, specifically Old Blue Raw Honey– He’s the bee keeper Sunset Valley Organic uses! In fact, you can get honey that was made with the pollen from SVO’s Raspberries! How cool is that!? It’s the exact same honey that I used in my recipe!
The Add Ins:
- Raspberry Powder
- Blueberry Powder
- Blackberry Powder
- Aronia Berry Powder
- Black Raspberry Powder
- Coconut Flakes-Unsweetened
- Chopped Unsalted Almonds
What You Do:
- Prepare baking sheet lined with parchment, set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in a large bowl.
- Stir in the nut butter*, honey (or maple syrup) until smooth. Add the oats, chia seeds, and mix ins of your choice.
- Roll into 1 tablespoon balls and place on prepared baking sheet, and place in freezer for up to an hour.
- Remove from freezer and transfer balls into plastic bag.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week or the freezer for up to 3 months.
*If your nut butter is really hard you can try warming it up in the microwave, it makes it a lot easier to stir in!
This month use code UNICORN at check out on Sunset Valley Organic’s berry powders and save 15% when you spend $20+ (Valid April 6- April 30, 2017, not valid with other offers).