It’s been another fantastic week for baking, this weeks challenge was cake. Like bread I don’t make a whole bunch of cake, usually once or twice a year, for birthdays. My boyfriend’s favorite cake is Cheese cake, last year I made it from scratch for the first time and it turned out delicious. But it was also a bit of a process, so I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to make for this weeks challenge.
Eventually I decided on an old fashioned lemon pound cake with home made whipped cream and fresh raspberries. And holy cow it turned out so delicious! Best part is that prep time took about 10 minutes or less. Super easy and simple, just what I like. We had the pound cake on Valentines day for desert- it was perfect.
If you want to get in on the Great Iggle Bake Off or want to see what everyone else is baking then check out the hashtag igglebakeoff and igglenoms on twitter and visit the IGGPPC forums.
What You’ll Need:
For The Cake:
- 1 (8oz) package of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/2 C butter, softened
- 3 C sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 C Cake Flour*
- 2 TSP vanilla extract
- 1/4 C lemon juice
- 1/4 C Powdered Sugar
*if you don’t have cake flour or can’t find any mix 6 cups all-purpose flour with 12 TBSP cornstarch.
For The Whipped Cream:
- 4 1/2 TSP Sugar
- 1 1/2 C Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 TSP vanilla extract
- Fresh Raspberries
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease a bunt pan and set aside.
- Using an electric stand mixer on medium speed, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and make sure each one is completely mixed in before adding the next, beating well with each addition. Add the flour all at once and mix until well combined. Add vanilla and mix throughly.
- Mix in lemon juice, add more or less to taste. (I like things SUPER lemon tasting!)
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes. Start checking at the one hour mark. Use a toothpick, inserting it near the center of the cake. When it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- While the cake is baking, pour heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla into a stand mixing bowl. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed until mixture is frothy, then turn the speed up to high/max and continue to mix for about and additional 2 minutes. Until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over beat.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Once the cake has completely cooled use powdered sugar for finishing on top.
- With a slice of cake, add a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with fresh raspberries. Serve & Enjoy!
Store left over cake in air tight container for up to a week, or freeze left overs. Store left over whipped cream in refrigerator for up to 3 days.